Saturday, January 31, 2009
Friday, January 30, 2009
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Monday, January 26, 2009
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Friday, January 23, 2009
E.B. Lewis, a well-known children's illustrator, came to our school today and did a wonderful presentation. I was able to get my copy of The Other Side autographed.
Greg, David's youth minister, came with his son Luke to watch David's JV basketball game. Jonah and Luke were too cute watching the game. Jonah kept cheering for the team, and Luke just kept looking at him like he was crazy!
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Monday, January 19, 2009
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Saturday, January 17, 2009
Friday, January 16, 2009
I have Creative Memories' Storybook Plus software. It's a digital software program that allows you to create digital albums and digital scrapbook pages. I'm sure there are other photo software programs that do the same type thing.
I create 8.5 x 11 pages with my photos, and then I download them to Costco and print them as 4x6 photos.
I have to adjust my photos carefully to the middle of the page so that things aren't cut off the edges. And you can download Storybook software for free from CM's Photo Center, but the "Plus" software, which costs $60, allows you to move around ALL the elements on the page and add elements, too!
I LOVE being able to add more than one photo- AND I can journal on the photo pages, too!
* PS- I also made wallet sized photos (my first two days' layouts) and adhered them to the paper that came with the kit (cut it down it 4x6 sized cards).
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Ok, I'm starting to see a reoccurring theme...FOOD!
We seem to eat out a lot, but I must write a disclaimer...my hubby and I are teachers who have students that love us. So we are blessed each Christmas with an abundance of gift cards. Which is why we went Outback tonight. (And I ate salmon and veggies. And a few bites of that Chocolate Thunder from Down Under.)
I love this photo of me and Mary E, it's actually pretty good. We really do look a lot alike- people often tell us that. And Jakey, attacking the dessert...he likes his sweets. When he was little, he would want dessert after breakfast, and very diplomatically explain to me why it was ok.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Monday, January 12, 2009
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Saturday, January 10, 2009
"Good friends are like stars...you may not always see them, but you know they're always there."
Friday, January 9, 2009
Thursday, January 8, 2009
1. Started your own blog
2. Slept under the stars (does in a tent count? I've laid out and LOOKED at them!)
3. Played in a band
4. Visited Hawaii
5. Watched a meteor shower
6. Given more than you can afford to charity.
7. Been to Disneyland (I think Disney World counts, too!)
8. Climbed a mountain.
9. Held a praying mantis
10. Sang a solo
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea (...at the beach...I wasn't IN the sea)
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
18. Grown your own vegetables
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept in an overnight train
21. Had a pillow fight
23. Taken a sick day when you're not ill
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb
26. Gone skinny dipping
27. Run/walk a marathon (I have run a 5K!)
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
29. Seen a total eclipse (solar)
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
31. Hit a home run
32. Been on a cruise
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught yourself a new language
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied (that's a half truth...if more comes my way, I'll take it!)
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing
40. Seen Michelangelo's David
41. Sung karaoke
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
46. Been transported in an ambulance
47. Had your portrait painted (by my dad when I was little)
48. Gone deep sea fishing
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling (I tried, it was HARD)
52. Kissed in the rain
53. Played in the mud
55. Been in a movie
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business (does Creative Memories count?)
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies (I am right now! Actually, my daughter is.)
62. Gone whale watching
63. Got flowers for no reason
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
67. Bounced a check
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten cavier.
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
77. Broken a bone
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
80. Published a book
81. Visited the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car
83. Walked in Jerusalem
84. Had your picture in the newspaper
85. Read the entire Bible
86. Visited the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
88. Had chicken pox
89. Saved someone's life
90. Sat on a jury
91. Met someone famous
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby 94a. Had a baby 94b. Had a baby
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a lawsuit (class action, not personal)
98. Owned a cell phone
99. Been stung by a bee
100. Read an entire book in one day
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
This is where I'm going to try to spend more time this year. I joined the gym a year and a half ago, and when I first started I couldn't do more than about 20 minutes on the elliptical- now I'm running 5Ks! I usually try to run 2-3 days a week, but this year I'm tracking my runs and I'm going to try to get at least 10 miles a week, increasing each week by a 1/2 mile. We'll see!
When I went to pick-up the boys from bball practice tonight, this was the scene out my van window...gotta love a pink sky.
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
My two and a half year old nephew loves everything about basketball! I guess it's my boys' fault. :o) He is so intent when he watches them play...mesmerized! He watches very seriously every move the players make. My mom and sister have even caught him imitating some of the shots and moves! He doesn't like the buzzer, though, and will cover his ears and jump. He told us last night, "I doin' better about d'at buzzer!"
Monday, January 5, 2009
Sunday, January 4, 2009
Saturday, January 3, 2009
Friday, January 2, 2009
I forgot to share with everyone the most unusual thing we have ever gotten for Christmas. Are you ready?
A cow. A REAL cow.
But- hold on- only PART of a REAL cow.
When we opened the paperwork, I thought, "Wow, we get free milk for life!" Then I was told it was not a good idea to name the cow. OOOhhh. Oops.
We will receive FIFTY POUNDS of beef, courtesy of our cow, in February. And although our cow will be no more, there will be more...in our deep freezer. How cool is that?!
So although I won't have milk for life, we will have steak on the grill!
Anyone have any good recipes?
Thursday, January 1, 2009
Last night I made a new family favorite- Lowcountry Salsa!
Homemade salsa is so fresh, and I love knowing that it's fat free. You can eat as much as you want! So here's the recipe...happy new year.
3 cans of Rotel, Mexican variety (with lime and cilantro)- drain slighty
1 can of black beans, rinsed
1 can of Mexicorn, drained
1 cucumber, minus the seeds, chopped
Mix and chill. Yum!