Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Some of my favorites...

Here's what I've been reading lately...


Olivia by Ian Falconer has to be my all-time favorite picture book. I love Olivia's spunk and determination. If you teach four year olds or parent one, you will appreciate this book.



I am currently reading Gossamer by Lois Lowry, a favorite author of mine. If you like books that are a wee bit mysterious and leave you thinking, then Lowry's are the best! Try The Giver by Lowry- "things that make you go hhhmmm..."



I discovered Grace for President by Kelly DiPucchio at the school book fair this week. I had to have it and was blessed with my own personal copy, bought for me by one of my students! I love the illustrations, and NO, don't think the story is all about voting for Hillary. It's about voting for the best PERSON for the job. It also teaches about the electoral college, which, unfortunately, I still don't get.


Oh my, I can't say enough about this sweet book, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo (who also wrote Because of Winn-Dixie). One of my first graders told me about it this week- I checked it out and read it in about 30 minutes one night. Quick read. Very touching and thought-provoking. It's about a china rabbit doll who loves only himself and is set upon a journey to discover more...


Ok, I know they are all children's books...but what do you expect???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are big Olivia fans in our house, too. I can still count on a good belly laugh from Aaron everytime we read it. And ANYTHING by Kate D. is worth reading. We got hooked when Bethany read Because of Winn Dixie in 4th grade (the movie is also very good, and in keeping with the book.)

Have you read A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon? We love that one, too. The illustrations are so cool.

Aaron's favorites right now are all the "Froggy" books. I read way more children's books than grown-up books. It just kinda happens that way when you have kids, I guess.

bekster said...

If you teach four year olds or OWN one? That's a little disturbing.

I have not read the books you mentioned, but some children's books are VERY good. I used to love checking out books from the library at my elementary school, and I would love to be able to find now some of the same ones I used to read... "Where the Wild Things Are;" "The Seven Chinese Brothers;" etc. (plus some more obscure ones). Anything by Beverly Cleary or Judy Blume was good too. In 7th grade we did a unit on Children's books, which was pretty cool (learned about the Caldecott and Newberry awards). At that point we were "too old" for a lot of them, but I remember that I still liked them anyway.

Ann said...

You both listed more of my favorites- LOVE Stripes and Wild Things! My theme for my fours classroom was "Where the Wild Things Are!"

Ok- I'll change the "own one" thing. Don't take it TOO seriously! :o}